GovOps was established in July 2013 as a result of the Governor’s Reorganization Plan 2. We strive to improve management and accountability of government programs, increase programmatic effectiveness, and promote better and more coordinated operational decisions.
To deliver a government that better serves all Californians.
The mission of GovOps is to improve government operations within state departments so they can better serve the people of California.
- People (state government workforce) Centered – Support strategies across departments to better attract, hire and retain a new generation of employees while continuing to build a skilled diverse state government workforce.
- Culture of Innovation – Reimagine partnerships among departments and within agencies to shape new working environments that better serves state operational goals.
- Sustain Transformation Efforts – Support timely implementation of more expansive and resilient state operations continuously measured by key results.
- Create new communication channels that support continuous sharing of best practices across departments to improve state operations.
- Promote human-centered design approaches to improve state operations.
- Create opportunities for departments to engage on cross-cutting initiatives; this includes adopting shared services, shifts towards creating a more flexible work environment to successfully serve evolving needs, and tools that catapult productivity and performance.
- Reinforce collaboration between GovOps’ reporting departments and other state entities to transform state operations to be more responsive, resilient, and leverage resources.
- Engage with other branches of government, affiliates, private sector and other allies to develop new initiatives that provide value and sustain transformation to state operations.
- Promote policies and practices across departments that incorporate data driven decision making, organizational change management, culture of risk intelligence, and greater transparency to achieve performance improvements.
- Elevate technological opportunities to innovate current state operations that ultimately better serve departments across the state and the public.
- Promote human, social, economic, and environmental sustainability practices in state operations.
Agency Team Values
- Leverage diverse and individual strengths among colleagues.
- Champion respect, recognition, and praise to build trusting relationships.
- Create positive work environments to promote collaboration and achieve results.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Actively promote the presence of differences so that collective efforts and the state workforce reflect California.
- Create work environment where everyone, regardless of race, gender, disability or sexual identity feels included and welcome.
- Challenge systems and processes that contribute to inequity.
- Provide solutions and alternatives to the most complex operational problems.
- Support and motivate teams to create a sense of direction, purpose, and excitement to optimize workforce productivity and efficiency.
- Cultivate a culture of learning, continuous development, and accountability to achieve more value-added activities.
- Value others’ experiences, viewpoints, and personalities to create a feeling of cooperation.
- Support others’ growth and development.